Pages

Saturday 8 June 2013

An Outing to Regret

Hello everyone !
Back to blogging after a considerably long break. Hopefully , I'll grow punctual in writing blogs .
So , Let me start off from where I signed off in my last post .(Check the blog archive for the previous posts).
In this post , I'll be focusing on just one single event , that I still hope never took place, it could have so easily been prevented if I had just been a little bold and brave enough to have followed my heart.Now when I look back at those days I'm only left with regret and remorse.
If I went any further with this post(and there is a long way to go before I can call it curtains to the "The Year that was ..."), I'm sure I would have written one of the best lullaby's ever . So I'm being cautious not to stretch the limits. I would like to introduce a customary warning as I had done in the previous post.

Please be Warned : This could still make for lengthy reading . 

So , I had just begun making visits to Azheekal beach , and despite a plethora of warnings to be cautious during our visits , the only thing that really remained on reaching the spot would be to indulge in unlimited fun , those visits with my friends will always remain the memories that I'll cherish for a long long time.
Back then , I too was a smartphone user , I was the owner of the HTC Wildfire S , a beautifully built android smartphone replete with all the most important features that a user would really require.

The beautifully crafted HTC Wildfire S was a pleasure to
operate.
Then one fine day , which I remember very well , I returned from college very tired and drained and as soon as I entered the room I fell down on my bed and wanted to doze off . But my buddies ofcourse, had other ideas , they absolutely hounded me to make the trip despite my resistance , and for irony , even those who normally wouldn't turn up for such a trip were all ready in waiting , so I felt a moral obligation to accompany them.  But then again there was this inexplicable force that had gripped me and I remained firmly in the clutches of my bed and I too felt really comfortable and just forgot everything that was happening around me.
Then suddenly out of the blue , one of my roommate said , " You don't wanna come ? , Fine , but give us your phone , we'll take some photographs " . His words shook me out of my sleep and I said "Okay, let's go" . I , for some reason didn't feel good about this trip , I never really wanted it , but I was doing it for my friends and that brought in me a sense of pride . (Truth be told I made that trip only because of my unwillingness to part with my phone for a couple of hours).
My previous visits to the beach yielded me some stunning pictures as well , courtesy my dear phone and for me it had slowly but surely become more than just a phone .

The Azheekal beach has this unique walk-way that takes you
right into the action.

Finally , we reached our destination , as always , it was breath-taking , and for the first timers, coming along with me , it must have been like a paradise. We planned that we would first go see the dolphins in the Arabian sea before the sun set. Well , as it had always been , things never went according to plan in my life , and this was no exception . We all ran the race of our life to dive into the sea , and before I could realize , I had three phones in my pocket , one of them mine , and I was the one leading the way . We were all wet and so were our phone , and suddenly realization struck and those poor devices(our phones) were sent flying in the air from half a metre inside the sea to the sea shore.I thought how stupid ! Who does that ? Certainly not me . I knew that phones would get damaged when exposed to water ,but I was in two minds as to whether mine was water resistant or not , because my phone had survived it's previous trysts with water , though none of them were anywhere near being immersed in a vast ocean . The extra insulation that I had provided my phone with , also spelt optimism . I then decided on that fateful day that my phone had to be water resistant , It was blind faith .
The Azheekal Beach was also a photographer's paradise
even an amateur like me was able click some impressive
snaps.My Phone was proving to be an ideal companion
in such visits.
That paved the way for me to enjoy the next hour or so in the sea water . Then , when it was all over , we were making our way out of the water and the very roommate who spoke those words that spurred me on to make the trip informed that the phones were not working , but luckily enough his phone was working . I asked him how could he say that ? He replied casually , "I tried switching them on , they don't work".(Remember , when your phone is wet , that too in salt water , the last thing you want to be doing is try to switch it on ... that 's the equivalent of saying R.I.P over and over again).So my buddy had essentially done the last rites and then I took over , I tried switching it on till my fingers didn't ache , so I think I must have done the cremation then :p . So we embarked on the return journey to the hostel , we had to slither our way through , stealth was of utmost importance , and I very nearly had everyone trapped , we reached our rooms , but then when we looked back , all we could see was trails of beach sand that had come from my track-pants , I then rushed again with my weapon (a broomstick) and I did the sweepers a big favor that evening .Now the hostel warden would be in rooms anytime from now , and here we were drenched in sea water , wearing clothes that were dripping water . As if things couldn't get any worse , we realized that all of us had bid adieu to our locker keys in the mighty Arabian sea , now we had to go see the warden to collect the hacksaw blade , and we somehow escaped that episode thanks to a kind friend . The next few days were comical , I must have looked like this utter fool who was drying his phone in the place where people were supposed to dry their clothes. I even fought for the best place to dry my phone . At the start I couldn't have been more optimistic , but as the hours passed by , I knew I was fighting a lost battle , It was gone , my phone which had been such a highlight of my childhood life , given to me as a birthday present , had departed on it's heavenly abode. Now I was left with the daunting task of letting out the truth to my parents and gather the courage to ask for a new phone. I eventually got a new phone which had THAT unbelievable feature of flashing a torch-light . I was left to rue of what might have been .
This was one of those occasions where I didn't follow my heart, when I so easily could have . Sometimes we know what is right for ourselves but we just lack the courage or confidence to follow our intuition and that makes all the difference.
Through this episode , I just want to convey that no matter what the circumstance , always follow your heart.

At this juncture I think it would be fitting to quote from perhaps the greatest entrepreneur of our generation .

"Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition , they somehow already know what you truly want to become " - Steve Jobs

 Steve Jobs , I couldn't agree more .  

Till the next time , sayonara
Happy Blogging


No comments:

Post a Comment